Commando raids in WWII

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by Touchstone, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Touchstone

Touchstone Member

Just been brushing up on some corps history and was reading about raids done by the Royal Marines in WWII. It shoes their courage and daring, and ultimately sacrifice. A the commando order was issued by Hitler which stated that any commandos captures would be executed immediately, which goes against the rules of engagement and international law.

In future, all terror and sabotage troops of the British and their accomplices, who do not act like soldiers but rather like bandits, will be treated as such by the German troops and will be ruthlessly eliminated in battle, wherever they appear.

I find this attitude strange in light of the events, considering the conduct of Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front, and the commando raids by the SS to capture prominent allies.
  2. Seedytucker

Seedytucker New Member

yeah, but it's not much different to terrorist vs black ops. can you tell me the difference? who's to say our/their terrorist isnt another coutry's black ops agent? (note: i mean this in the context of WWII)
    EDIT: that isnt to say i think of our spec ops as terrorists, now or then, i mean that is how jerry viewed them
  3. Iago

Iago New Member

I've been reading SBS by John Parker, just finished the first section on its foundations in WWII. What a bunch of heroes. Recommended reading!
  4. Touchstone

Touchstone Member

Well it is different. They where taking military targets as part of their objective, wearing uniform and operating under the Geneva convention. This was not their orders they where Hitler's orders to execute commandos.
  5. Matt B

Matt B Royal Marines Commando

I have no constructive input to this thread, I just want to say that my Grandad was in the SBS. I am so proud of him, unfortunately I get the feeling that his stories were very watered down and cut short as he has spent many years trying to forget some of the horrors he had to experience.

He fought in Burma and was awarded the Burma cross which he never accepted to receive in an attempt to just 'forget'.

I am currently trying to have his service records sent to me along with the Burma cross that he deserved so I can wear it on my uniform in pass out and on rememberance parades.

He died 2 years ago.
  6. Chris

Chris New Member

The command from hitler and nazi leaders to have any commando's killed is not really much of a shocker though, we all know they were a burger and fries short of a happy meal during the war. However i dont think jerry as a whole would have acted the same, while the Nazi element of the germans were responsible for more atrocities than I care to mention many german soldiers were just fighting for their country or fighting out of fear for what would happen to their families. There is a book called "Under Hitler" that has excerpts from diaries from german soldiers that explained how alot of them had no idea about why war was started or what the nazi's were doing and fought because they were simply soldiers and others that fought because they knew what would happen if they didnt.

Operation Frankton is available as a movie called the cockleshell heroes and is a brilliant laugh with some action towards the end if anyone is interested.